SWAGGER STICKS AND CANES
|A carved wooden walking stick from
St. Helena £420
Carved around the stick is: "John Moses 29th Coy Royal Engineers, out of the ladder St. Helena April 1898".
His service records show that John Moses was a carpenter who enlisted into the Royal Engineers April 1885 and was posted to St. Helena in October 1886. He left the island in April 1890 and served 2 years in South Africa before returning to the UK. He was discharged from the army in April 1897.
The ladder is "Jacob's Ladder" which is a 924 feet long, steep stairway up to Ladder Hill Fort. When the original structure was replaced wooden sleepers were removed and this stick my well be carved from one of them. The stick is 33 inches (85 cm) long.
|Royal Engineers (GVI) stick, white metal end. Overall length 26 1/2 inches. £38|
|Royal Army Medical Corps stick, white metal ends. King's Crown. Overall length 27 inches. £38|
|Royal Marines stick, white metal ends. Overall length 33 inches £75|
|Plain Bamboo Stick bamboo cane. Overall length 68 cm (27 inches) £20|
|Thick Plain cane, white metal ends.
Overall length 61 cm
(24 inches) £20
1. Camel Whip. 34 inches long. £55
2. Bamboo cane with leather top. 24 inches long. £20
3. Bamboo Cane. 27 inches long. £20
4. Leather cane wiith brass end. 24 inches long. £30
5. Bamboo Cane. 24 inches long. £20
6. Leather clad cane. 20 inches long. £25
7. Riding Whip. 24 inches long named on the leather EEGEE Whip. £30